Picture this: All of your electronics in perfect harmony and able to be controlled from a single remote. Believe it, home and business automation is on the rise! As a certified On Controls installer, we provide integrated control without the hassle of proprietary equipment and dealer lock-ins. Don’t be pressured into an expensive proprietary system. Our solution runs on off-the-shelf hardware and is typically controlled via iOS or Android devices. Here’s a short list of the kind of equipment we can get our hooks into:
- Blue-Ray Player
- Media Streaming Box
- Satellite / Cable Internet Box
- Whole-home Audio / Video switch
- Gaming Consoles
- Motorized Projector Screens
- Light switches including 3-ways
- Garage Door Openers
- Door Open/Close Sensors
- Home Controller (Mi Casa Vera)
- Deadbolt Locks
- Motion/Temperature/Humidity Sensors
- Ceiling Fans
- Proximity Sensors
- Entry Gates
- Surveillance Cameras
Methods of Control:
- Infrared (IR)
- RS-232 (Serial)
- RJ-45 Ethernet
- Open/Close Relay (control & sense)
Methods of Communication to controllers:
- RJ-45 Ethernet
Methods of Power Supply to controllers:
- Standard Electrical w/ 5v DC “wall-wart”
- Power Over Ethernet (PoE)
It is important to note that home and business automation is many times reliant on existing infrastructure. It is very difficult and costly to modify existing electrical or telecommunication wires to accommodate. Please keep in mind when choosing any automation system that everything should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Below are some specific examples of problem areas:
- Fireplaces. If a fireplace is ignited and controlled from a battery-pack (mili-amp ignition) hidden within the unit and does not have immediate access to MAINS electrical power. These fireplaces ignite from small electrical impulses, and our equipment requires traditional electrical wiring or Line of Sight (LOS) from an IR blaster nearby.
- Non-standard electrical wiring. This can be especially problematic when it comes to 3-way wiring circuits.
- Excessive Electrical Loads. Specifically, lighting circuits with more than 500W of power drain. In these rare instances, the installation of lower wattage LED bulbs may be an option.
- Existing Proprietary Equipment. If you are transitioning from another big-name home-control product, you may be in for a shock when we inform you that your equipment is not cross-compatible with other platforms. We’ll do our best to reuse any existing equipment to save you the most money, but that may not always be possible.
- Game consoles. Newer gaming consoles lack IR capability. We’ll let you know upfront if you would need to keep a game console controller around for basic functionality (you would need one to play games with anyway right?).